Thursday 26 July 2012

Reflections on an incredible few months!

Hi Everyone,

Sorry it has been a while since I have been in touch, I have been settling back into life in the UK for the past few weeks and trying to digest what was a truly incredible and life changing experience in Uganda!!

Spending 5 months in Uganda gave me an excellent opportunity to really understand some of the issues facing people living there and to consider and explore potential solutions to some of them. I hope the picture I have painted over the last few months has not been one of doom and gloom, I merely wanted to highlight the many issues and challenges faced by people living in Bunambutye. I must emphasise however what a wonderfully warm, happy and positive place it is despite the great poverty and hardship’s.  Im sure from the many photographs I have posted that you can see the joy people experience on a daily basis from simple things such as singing and dancing.

Living in the community, and being the only westerner for miles around, was challenging to say the least, however, I learnt so much from the people I lived with. The Ugandan people are incredibly kind and always willing to make sacrifices for others, they are positive and hopeful even in times of adversity. The most prominent example of this was the way they coped with the food crisis, it was truly admirable. They work together as a community and support each other at times of difficulty. There is an acceptance of what life is like but also a great desire and willingness to improve their lives. They don’t want to be hungry and unable to provide for the basic needs of themselves and their families.

Now that I am home and have had time to start looking objectively at the whole experience I am clearly focused on the longer term solutions. First of all I am going to start the process of setting up a charity so that we can support these communities long term and am currently developing a board of trustees. This is an opportunity for people to get involved with a young, passionate charity and to really make a difference to people’s lives.

As discussed in previous blog posts there are very many needs in the community and the way our work will develop and how we will best support the community is yet to be decided. Hopefully it will all become clear as the board of trustees are formed and enter into discussions and continue to visit and build relationships with the communities and other organisations in Uganda.

So, exciting times ahead... I would love to hear off you if you want to get involved in any way!

Thank-you for all of your support over the last few months!

Aimee

No comments:

Post a Comment